Monday, June 18, 2012

Almost Lift Off!!

The time has flown and our departure date really snuck up on us! It's crazy to think that in 2 days we will be on the plane and starting the adventure of our dreams. I can't believe that it has already been 6 months since we decided to do this crazy trip in the first place. The townhouse has been rented; we've finished working at our wonderful jobs that we will both miss (not being sarcastic either!). We had a great "Bon Voyage" party  and got to see our nearest and dearest. Everything has come together, the only thing I have left to do is pack!!!
I know, I know... How on earth am I going to pack everything I might need for 2 years in a suitcase and a back pack and why the hell haven't I started yet? Tomorrow (the day before we leave) I will be spending most of the day packing and re-packing to try to fit as much as I possible can while still being able to travel and carry it. Neal of course being a man, simply states that all I need is clothes for 2 weeks because I can always do laundry. No concept of outfits, seasons or occasions. Now I realize that some of you reading this don't know me and are probably jumping to the conclusion that I am a little high maintenance. However, I beg to differ, packing for 2 years is quite the challenging feat considering everyone I have spoken to has warned me of how expensive it is to buy clothes and shoes in Australia and that I should stock up here. I still need to pack for colder weather (not Canadian cold!) since it will be winter in New Zealand for the 2 months we are traveling around in a camper van. Camping in winter requires and large amount of layers. In Melbourne where we will eventually end up has all 4 seasons and that is hard to pack for. I will update you on the progress of my challenge that consists of clothes, shoes, electronics (Ipad, Iphone, kindle, camera & laptop) and my stash of MAC that I stocked up on recently.

People have been asking for our itinerary and here it is:
Arrive in Auckland June 22, meet up with our very dear friends Jeff & Jessica Stoy!
Stay June 22- July 2 in Waldorf Stadium Apartments near the Stoy's and see what Auckland has to offer. We will have a weekend trip to Wahieke Island where we will get some wine and beer tastings in on June 30.
July 4- fly to Christchurch to pick up our Camper van that will be "home" for the next 50 days!!
We will travel around the South Island and then take the Ferry across to Wellington around Aug 2. We will explore the North Island until Aug 22.
Aug 24 we fly to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands for a 2 week "warm up" vacation. We are staying in Kuras Kabanas on beautiful Muri Beach. We then fly to Melbourne on September 8 and hopefully find an apartment and work quickly.
Map of Rarotonga

We will keep you up to date as we travel but that is the beginning of our adventure in a nut shell. 
Talk to you soon!!
Laur


3 comments:

  1. Have a great trip! Really gonna miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out! Can't wait to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all the best on your exciting adventure!

    ReplyDelete